Thursday, October 12, 2006

First day of work and advice to those graduating...

I was punctual for work today. Good start. Everything went quite smoothly, God bless. Things I have done today: trying to figure out how to use the all-in-one printer cum scanner cum fax machine, run errands, reply emails and buy stationeries. I was wondering why i was doing so much administrative work before i remembered my designation. I am hoping for the marketing part to come as soon as possible cos that's where all the excitment lies. hee... Looking forward to all the learning opportunities given to me.
Okie, advice to ppl graduating. Pls start looking for job early!!! I.e, before you graduate. Seniors gave me this piece of advice but I just take it lightly. I think i was too lazy then and thought of finding a job after getting all my break and stuff like that. I was so confident that I will get all the replies I need from companies that i've applied for within an appropriate time frame. And of cos, I'm here to tell you that it's so WRONG! First of all, I jumped into temp jobs while searching for perm. but gosh, I dun know that it can be so tiring when you are temp-ing that you won't really have time and energy to send your resumes. Secondly, I think only 1 or 2 out of 30 companies you applied for will reply you. And after they replied you, the next thing up will be interviews. You will be 1 out of about 4 candidates fighting for that same position, so that leaves you about 1/4 chance. Ok now, the crucial part is this, you have passed the interview and the only thing left is for you to accept the job offer. If you send in late applications, you don't have much choices for you to choose from and you have to quickly give a reply from what is available before your chance fly away. Drawing to my own example (note: i still like my current job though it's not my first choice), one of the ministries i applied for actually contacted me after i accepted my current job. Given the fact that that's where i sent one of my earliest resume to and sort of my dream place to work in. When the hr gal called me, i felt like throwing stones at her. Why did she get back to me so late!!!!! Somemore when i just gotten a job?! so efficient huh? let me calculate... 3 months plus to get back to me. And today, my very first day of work, i got an email to go for an interview for a management trainee in a respectable company, something which i wanted to try out. They have never replied and they chose it to be today. Ok, from these double attacks I've suffered, hope you guys learn something from it. But then again, I believed something that one of my friends said. And that is job affinity, what belongs to you will be yours but of cos you must also fight hard for it lah.
Good luck to ppl still searching for job!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

LOL, I had a job lined up 2 months before I graduated...a week before final exams, the jerk told me the company was FOLDING!!! I had no other job lined up as backup! I was so screwed.

Talk to your profs before you graduate and ask them about career fields you may not have thought of. They might give you some good ideas.

The campus job office is a joke, in my experience. Walk around downtown and talk to strangers (who are wearing business attire, not the bums!) and tell them you're trying to find a company that's good to work for. They will tell you a LOT, I promise. Bus stops and groups of smokers are good bets.